Fig & Pear Torte
This is the perfect winter dessert, There’s something very British about it. It’s ideal to bring out when dinner’s done with & your guests have cracked open a bottle of that lovely Cognac. The fruitiness of the Pear is complemented by the butter in the cake, the sweetness of the figs go amazingly well with the Ginger & Cinnamon. Warm, spicy & Best served with Crème Anglaise.
- 200g Flour
- 10g Baking Powder
- 1g Salt
- 4g Baking Soda
- 100g Yoghurt
- 50ml Milk
- 180g Unsalted Butter
- 180g Caster Sugar
- 5ml Vanilla Essence
- 2 Eggs
- 2g Cinnamon Powder
- 2g Ground Ginger
- 1 Pear
- 5-6 Figs
- 10ml Poire Eau de Vie
- 10g Caster Sugar
- 20 ml Water
- Preheat the oven to 165 degrees
- Slice the Pear into fairly thick slices. Cut the Figs into two.
- Add the 10g of Caster Sugar to Boiling 20ml of Water, Once cooled add the liqueur
- Sift the flour, salt, Cinnamon powder, Baking powder & Baking Soda together.
- In a Big Bowl, Cream the Butter & Sugar together, till they’re pale & Fluffy.
- Add the Vanilla essence, ground Ginger and then the Eggs one by one.
- Add 1/3rd of the dry ingredients into the Butter mixture, followed by the yoghurt.
- Add another third of the dry ingredients followed by the milk.
- Add the remaining dry ingredients & mix well.
- Pour the batter into a prepared cake pan.
- Arrange the Pear & Fig Slices on top of the cake.
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Once out of the oven, Brush the top of the Torte with the Liqueur soaking syrup.
- Serve Warm