Ricotta & Salted Caramel Dessert
A lot of people crib about the high level of sugar in desserts in India, my husband being one of them. It is true that most desi mithais are loaded with sugar and our palette does like that kick of it. This particular dessert isn’t really a cheesecake or an entremet. It’s a fluffy Ricotta crème on a digestive biscuit base, topped with a glistening toffee sauce, salted nuts & seeds. It’s something I came up with after trying a particular dessert in a small café in a remote part of Europe. It can be made a day in advance, so it's perfect for extended family Sunday brunches!
For the Base:
- 150g Digestive Biscuits
- 40g Unsalted Butter
For the Cheesecake:
- 250g Ricotta Cheese
- 150g Whipping Cream
- 15g Caster Sugar
- 5ml Vanilla
For the topping:
- 100g Caster Sugar
- 15g Cream
- 15g Unsalted Butter
- 10g Cashew Nuts
- 10g Almonds
- 5g Pumpkin seeds
- For the Base: Crush the digestive biscuits; add melted butter and mix.
- Set this crumb in a 7’ cake pan with a removable base & chill.
- Make the Salted Caramel: In a dry pan over medium heat, melt the caster sugar till it gets golden; once golden add the cream, butter & salt. Mix well.
- For the top: In a dry pan, toast the cashews, almonds & pumpkin seeds; add sea salt & roughly chop.
- For the Ricotta: Whip the cream to stiff peaks, add the ricotta & blend well. Add the caster sugar & vanilla, it should be a sturdy whipped mixture.
- Assembly: Pour the ricotta mix on the biscuit base & chill for 30 minutes.
- Top with the Salted Caramel & nuts. Chill for four hours or overnight & de-mould.