Almond Milk Soup
This is a lifesaver for people who suffer from Lactose intolerance. It’s also a fantastic source of protein & good fat. Once you get the hang of making your own almond milk, there’s no turning back! This is just one recipe that uses almond milk and it has the ability to replace regular milk in almost anything. Start with this soup & then let your imagination run wild!
• 200g Almonds
• 500ml Water
• 1 Onion
• 10ml Olive oil
• 50ml Dry White Wine
• 1 clove Garlic, Crushed
• 1 Bay leaf
• 1 Clove
• Crushed Black Pepper
• Soak the almonds overnight in water.
• Drain the water and in a NutriBullet, pulse the almonds with water to make a thin paste.
• Strain the almond milk from the almond meal. (The leftover crushed Almonds minus the liquid is called almond meal and can be used in other recipes like gluten-free almond cookies etc)
• Add a little more water to get the desired consistency for almond milk.
• In a deep bottomed pan, sauté the garlic in a little olive oil.
• Add the onions, bay leaf, clove & thyme and sauté till onions are translucent.
• Add the almond milk & bring to a boil. Add the wine.
• Add salt & pepper.
• Remove the aromats & serve hot.
• ( If you’re not Lactose intolerant, Parmesan shavings make for a lovely garnish)