I can classify this as Gourmet Comfort Food. Gnocchi is an Italian dumpling that’s primarily made out of potatoes (I add some Ricotta to mine) and then it’s generally tossed in a rich cream sauce, I prefer pesto! This goes extremely well with a nice glass of Chianti.
- 2 Large Potatoes40g Ricotta Cheese
- 160g Flour
- 7g Salt
- 1 Egg
- 60g Pesto
- 20g Cream
- 5g Pine nuts
- 5g Parmigiano Reggiano
- Crushed Black Pepper
- Boil the Potatoes till tender.
- Once cooled, Peel & mash the potatoes.
- Add the Flour & Ricotta to the potatoes along with the salt.
- Bind together and then add the Egg.
- Knead till a smooth dough forms. Chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out into thick noodles ( 1.5-2 inches in width)
- Cut into 1.5-inch Nuggets. You will be left with tiny square dumplings.
- Boil 1.5 litres of water and gently drop the Gnocchi into the water. Boil for 5-7 minutes & set aside.
- In a Pan, Dry roast the Pine nuts & then roughly chop.
- Heat the Pesto gently, add the cream and let it simmer.
- Add the Gnocchi and gently toss it in the Pesto.
- Transfer to a bowl, top with toasted pine nuts, shaved Parmesan & a generous drizzle of crushed black pepper.